If 2020 is the year for making some much-needed updates to your home, kitchen, bathroom, backyard, or any room in between, you’ve got plenty of company. More Americans were investing in home building and remodeling projects by the end of 2019, and that trend is expected to continue in 2020. And with many now staying at home and taking responsible social distancing measures, it is a great time to consider making your home renovation and remodeling ideas come to life.
Which types of remodeling projects will give you the most bang for your buck this year? To help you decide, here are some of the top home renovation and design trends as we begin a new decade.
Beautiful and functional kitchen updates make for easy cooking and cleanup that fits with today’s hectic lifestyles. Open-concept kitchens also let you create an inviting social space for quality time with family and friends.
- Although the farmhouse-style kitchen remains popular, many homeowners are gravitating toward modern design elements like cleaner lines, waterfall countertops and natural stone textures.
- Kitchens are also getting more colorful. Homeowners are embracing softer hues including light grays, blues and pink. Some kitchen surfaces will even include flecks of gold for a dramatic flair.
- Natural wood elements add warmth to all-white or monochromatic kitchens. Create a welcoming atmosphere with wood range hoods, open shelving, countertops, drawers and pull-outs.
- Enjoy greater convenience with smart kitchen technology. Refrigerators, faucets and other appliances are going digital, and eco-friendly dishwashers can give you (and your utility bill) water and energy savings.
Transform and renovate your bathroom into a spa-like oasis for relaxation and rejuvenation, with ample room for all of your self-care needs.
- Double floating bathroom vanities exude a clean, minimalist tone while freeing up floor space for a more spacious feel.
- Built-in benches and other bathroom furniture seating options — both in and out of the shower — give you a place to take it easy after a busy day or grueling workout.
- Tiled bathtub aprons create a unique, built-in appearance for elegant visual interest.
- As with the kitchen trends of 2020, digital technology has found its way into the bathroom, in the form of Bluetooth speakers that let you sing along in the shower, digital mirrors and even smart toilets!
- Go eco-friendly in the shower with water-saving showerheads and efficient lighting throughout your bathroom space.
- Clever, compact storage, cabinets and shelving give you more space for open showers and larger tubs.
- Add a sleek, modern vibe with black accents for light fixtures, shelving and mirror frames.
- For small bathroom remodels, powder rooms and half bathrooms, it’s time to go bold! Great wallpapers featuring large prints or textures like grasscloth are a great way to dress up a smaller space!
Once written off as an old-fashioned relic, the formal dining room is making something of a comeback. It’s the perfect space for celebrating birthdays, holidays and other memorable occasions. Whether your kitchen and cooking space design is farmhouse, modern or rustic, you are sure to find a matching dining room piece that will bring cohesiveness between the two spaces.
Bold paint colors, matching dining room tables and chairs, charming wallpaper patterns and eye-catching light fixtures are a few wonderful options for giving your dining room a lively, festive mood.
Who says you can’t have some fun while getting a little work done around the house? No longer an afterthought, laundry rooms and other utility spaces in the home are getting renewed design attention.
Inject a little positive energy into your laundry room with cheerful colors and playful wallpaper themes. Keep clutter at bay with creative laundry room cabinets and storage systems. And you can even easily jot down items on your to-do list by creating a convenient chalkboard wall.
Not sure what to do with that unfinished basement (or attic)? Wondering how to round out your basement finishing remodel?
Depending on the layout of your space, the basement may be a great place for that extra guest room, bathroom or utility room that your house might need.
Another popular trend is to renovate the basement into your own in-home recreation and entertainment center. Possibilities for your extra space include a home gym, game room, theater, fully stocked bar or even a music venue with a small stage!
Backyards and Outdoor Spaces
Nothing beats unwinding outside when the weather is good — especially in the comfort of your own backyard!
By bringing the best interior design ideas out into the fresh air, the once-humble patio now offers lots of great possibilities for lounging and entertaining. Some popular patio designs and ideas include converting and improving your outdoor space with:
- Lounge areas
- Outdoor kitchens and grills
Lend the perfect ambiance and pairing to the natural outdoor spaces with a mix of quality, all-weather materials including brick, natural woods, warm-toned metals and concrete.
If you are ready to make your 2020 home renovation ideas into a reality, contact Elite Renovations & Design today! You can request a free project estimate online or call us at 417-708-8393 to get started.