Is your home starting to feel a little crowded? Do you need to use existing space more efficiently?
If that sounds like you, a home addition may your best renovation option.
A home addition is an excellent solution for multi-generational households, aging-in-place improvements or simply improving curb appeal. It offers better functionality for you and greater value for future buyers.
Here are a few possibilities to inspire your project.
Add New Rooms
There are many options for adding new rooms to your home, depending on your square footage and functional needs.
- Transform a one-story house by adding a second floor. Just make sure your existing foundation and structure can support the extra weight.
- If an entire second story is more than you need, consider a bonus room, comfortable guest suite or private rental space above the garage.
- If you’ve got grandparents or adult children living with you, turn a guest room into a second master suite by adding a spacious full bathroom.
- A powder room near the foyer offers a more welcoming entryway for visitors.
- Need more space for entertaining? Add a new den, sunroom, great room or family room.
- A mudroom gives you a convenient place for shoes, coats and backpacks. Amenities can include wall hooks, cabinets, lockers or cubbies.
Enlarge Existing Rooms
Even if you don’t need a whole new room, expanding the rooms you already have is a great option for getting much-needed extra space.
- A bump-out addition extends an outside wall further outward and can range from 2’ or larger. Examples include a bay window in the living or dining room or an extra walk-in closet in a bedroom.
- Kitchen enlargement. If your household is growing, you may need more cooking and dining space. Add a breakfast nook to accommodate a larger family, a walk-in pantry to hold more food or extra prep space for cooking bigger meals.
- Bathroom enlargement. Want to create a spa-like atmosphere right in your own home? Make room for a large soaking tub. Tired of bumping into each other while getting ready for work? Install dual sinks and stop fighting over just one. A larger master bathroom can add convenience and relaxation to your space.
Repurpose Existing Rooms
Do you or a family member need to work from home? Want to get in shape without driving to the gym? A home addition lets you reconfigure existing rooms to better fit your lifestyle.
- Convert an empty garage into a home gym, studio or extra bedroom.
- If you have a rarely-used guest room, turn it into a home office or exercise room.
- Relocate the laundry room or add a second one on an upper floor.
If you’d like to keep your options open, add a flex room! More and more homeowners are including spaces that can be used for a variety of activities such as sleeping, working, entertaining and working out.
Finish Attics and Basements
If you’d like more livable square footage without changing your home’s footprint, a finished attic or basement may be the answer.
- Renovate your basement to create an apartment for adult residents or renters. A basement bedroom should include emergency windows or a backyard walkout.
- An attic bedroom also offers much-valued privacy. Finished attics must connect to a stairway and at least half the ceiling must reach 7’ or higher.
- Many attics and basements can accommodate a home office, home theater or exercise room.
Refresh Outdoor Spaces
Many homeowners are seeking a more seamless transition from indoors to out. You can accomplish this by adding onto your outdoor spaces.
- Change a covered porch into a sunroom.
- Enclose a back patio to create a second, more casual living room.
- Add an outdoor kitchen or living room. Popular features include built-in furniture, fire pits, brick ovens, water features and planters.
If you’re considering a home addition, contact Elite Renovations & Design for a free quote.
Our experienced contractors will work closely with you to turn your dream home into a reality!