New floors can give an instant facelift to any room in your home.
You can bring an outdated space into the 21st century, boost your home value and even improve safety.
Even better news? There’s a wide variety of flooring materials to choose from, so it’s easy to find the perfect match for your renovation. The 2019 U.S. Houzz & Home Study found that 43% of homeowners who remodeled in 2018 purchased non-carpet flooring, while another 17% bought new carpeting.
Let’s take a look at some of the most popular flooring materials on the market today to help you decide.
From elegant to rustic, wood floors bring timeless beauty and great long-term return on investment to your home.
Here are some of today’s most popular wood flooring trends:
- Distressed hardwood
- Wide and mixed-width planks
- Parquet patterns
Keep in mind that wood flooring will show scratches and may require refinishing every few years. It’s also one of the more expensive options, so budget wisely and shop around for the best value.
Classic marble never goes out of style and creates an upscale ambiance. Granite, travertine and sandstone are other natural stone materials that make an excellent choice.
Stone is highly durable but does require regular care to retain its beauty and to maintain a non-slip walking surface. Maintenance requirements will vary depending upon the specific material you choose.
If you need an affordable option that looks fabulous in high-traffic areas, laminate could be your solution. Durable and easy to install, today’s laminate comes in a range of popular styles:
- Wide planks
- Classic hardwood style
- Lighter colors
- Textured looks
- Eco-friendly designs
Laminate is prone to moisture damage and can be challenging to repair, so it works best in dry areas.
Great for kitchens, bathrooms and entryways, porcelain or ceramic tile is a durable, non-porous material that comes in a wide variety of styles.
- Larger tiles make a bold statement and are growing in popularity.
- You can also find tiles that mimic the look of concrete, wood or natural stone products like marble.
- Tile is a great way to add upscale beauty at a less-than-upscale price.
While they can chip or scratch, individual tiles can be replaced without having to install a completely new floor.
Beautiful, durable and easy to maintain — today’s vinyl flooring comes in a vast array of styles to make it a great flooring option for almost any budget.
- Vinyl can be designed to mimic the look of wood planks, ceramic tiles or stone pavers.
- Because it’s so easy to clean, vinyl works great in high traffic areas and in homes with young children or pets.
- Depending on the style you choose, some vinyl options are more expensive than in the past.
Also available in a range of colors, textures and patterns, carpet remains an affordable bedroom mainstay.
- Carpet provides soft, warm comfort for bare feet.
- It absorbs sound waves for noise reduction.
- It’s often less expensive on a square-foot basis than hard flooring surfaces.
And thanks to the miracle of technology, you can also choose waterproof carpeting that stands up to moisture and is easier to clean.
Are you trying to decide which flooring material is best for your remodel?Contact Elite Renovations & Design. Our experienced contractors will go over your options and provide a free quote for your project.