Nothing says summer like kicking back with family and friends at a backyard barbecue, or just spending a lazy afternoon relaxing in the backyard.
If you’re looking to get that backyard summer-ready, you may have considered installing a deck or patio.
Read on for some of the most common deck and patio FAQs to bring you one step closer to this perfect addition to the backyard of your dreams.
What is the difference between a deck and a patio?
Depending on your needs, a deck or a patio can greatly enhance your home’s value – and your summer plans.
- Patios are open, paved spaces that are installed directly on the ground. Patios can either be attached to or detached from the home, giving homeowners plenty of flexibility.
- A deck is an elevated platform that extends directly from your home. They’re typically constructed with natural materials like wood.
What are the pros and cons of patios?
Looking for a low-maintenance addition to your home? Patios are affordable, flexible, and durable.
- Depending on the material you use, patios are often more affordable than decks – especially if you use a low-cost material like concrete.
- Since patios are often built with durable materials like concrete, pavers, or stone, they don’t require much maintenance. That makes them a good choice if you live in a climate prone to heavy rain or humidity.
- Since patios are installed flush to the ground, they may be a challenge in outdoor spaces with uneven terrain.
- Although patios don’t require much maintenance, patio materials like concrete and stone can be more difficult to clean than deck materials like wood. That makes them more prone to unsightly stains.
What are the pros and cons of decks?
Decks are a great choice if you’re dealing with uneven terrain or want to enjoy a gorgeous backyard view.
- Unlike patios, decks can be customized to serve uneven or hilly backyard terrain. That’s good news for multi-level homes that may stand on a dramatic slope or hillside.
- Decks are elevated, giving you a beautiful backyard view to enjoy.
- Decking material can be more expensive than patios, especially if you’re using a high-end option like redwood or cedar.
- Since many decks are made with natural materials like wood, they may need extra protection from deterioration or rot over time.
What materials can I use for decks and patios?
Choosing the ideal material for your lifestyle and climate is a good first step in constructing your backyard hangout.
- Decks are primarily made of natural materials like wood or synthetic materials like composite woods or vinyl.
- If you’re interested in a warm, natural feel for your deck, you can’t go wrong with high-end woods like redwood, cedar, and pressure-treated pine.
- Patios are known for their versatility. They can be installed in virtually any shape based on your home’s terrain.
- Patios are typically built with durable natural materials like stone, brick, or rock. More affordable options include concrete, patio pavers, or pea gravel.
How can I care for my deck or patio?
You can keep your backyard beautiful year round with a little regular TLC.
- Decks made of natural materials require more maintenance than patios to preserve their desirable finish. Depending on your climate, decks should be thoroughly cleaned and sanded at the beginning and end of the warm season.
- Patios don’t require the same level of care as decks, but they do require maintenance to maintain their orderly, attractive appearance. Keep a close eye on brick or tile finishes, replacing any worn components. Concrete also requires regular cleaning in the case of stains, mildew or mold.
At Elite Renovation, we’re passionate about helping you create the ultimate outdoor living space.
If you’re wondering whether a new deck or patio would be the best fit for your home, give us a call at 417-708-8393 to chat about how we can help you make the right choice to bring your vision to life.