When pipes freeze due to cold temperatures, ice build-up increases pressure, which may cause the pipe to burst.
And it doesn’t take a large, gaping hole to cost you thousands in repair bills.
- According to Consumer Reports, even a small crack in a single pipe can lead to over $5,000 in water damage.
- Water leaking from frozen pipes can damage your walls, floors and appliances.
- Water damage also promotes the growth of mold which can be especially harmful for people with asthma and other respiratory conditions.
If you discover water flowing from a frozen pipe, or suspect that you have a leak, don’t try to fix it yourself. Call Elite Renovations & Design at 417-708-8393 for quick service from our licensed plumbers.
In addition, take the following steps immediately to minimize the damage.
#1: Stop the Flow
Shutting of the main water valve is the quickest way to stop the water from flowing.
Your main water shut-off valve may be located in a front wall or in your basement, or near your water meter. Turn the handle to the right to shut off the water.
#2: Relieve the Pressure
After shutting off your main water valve, open all faucets and let them drain.
This relieves pressure, which prevents new cracks from forming and keeps existing cracks from getting worse.
#3: Call the Pros and Stay Safe
Fixing a burst pipe is not a do-it-yourself project. Too many people try to save money by fixing the damage themselves, only to need more expensive repairs later.
- A licensed plumber will know how to cut off and replace the damaged pipe.
- Contact a professional water cleanup service to correct the damage to avoid safety and health hazards.
- Stay away from plugged-in electrical appliances near the site of a leak until professionals are able to shut off the circuit breakers to remove the electrocution risk.
#4: Minimize and Correct Water Damage
Pay attention to walls, floors and appliances. Even if they appear fine on the outside, appliances such as washers and dryers can have internal water damage that renders them unusable.
- Move wet and iced-over items to a dry location to warm and dry them.
- In some cases you may be able to remove some of the water with a wet-dry vacuum.
- Use fans and a dehumidifier to promote further drying.
- If possible, take lots of pictures of the damage for insurance purposes.
Time is of the essence if a pipe bursts. Elite Renovations & Design is here to provide fast, efficient service with an emphasis on professionalism and cleanliness.
Call us at 417-708-8393 or contact us online right away.